Saturday, April 9, 2011

The quality of mercy

This reflection started as something else.  Sometimes they have that way about them.  We never spent time in seminary years and years ago now defining God by attributes.  In June I will be leading a provincial retreat  for Daughters of the King on what it means to love mercy (Micah 6:8) (last year*s retreat leader chose to walk humbly).  It is probably not a surprise that I began with Shakespeare, moved to Wheaton, then to Chippie, and landed on mystery.  I am still an Episcopalian.


The quality of mercy is not strain'd,
It droppeth as the gentle rain from heaven
Upon the place beneath. It is twice blest:
It blesseth him that gives and him that takes (190)

William Shakespeare
The Merchant of Venice, Act IV, Scene I

In high school I missed the Shakespeare emphasis
That my siblings and my husband experienced.
Still it amazes me that Shakespeare returns
In snippets,
As truths,
Almost as much as the Bible.

This morning I think about the attributes of God,
Mercy in particular.
Before Wheaton I did not separate out
God*s attributes.
I did not consider His/Her qualifiers.
This morning I am stuck on adjectives, descriptors.
Shakespeare offers
Not strained
Like gentle rain,
Twice blessed.
I am not at Wheaton anymore.
Shakespeare would never
Pass muster.

I miss the professor*s dog Chippie.
He would allow me to run my fingers through his fur
A few times during that final term.
He barked at the men in class,
But let me run my fingers through his fur,
Particularly
When mystery was mentioned
As an attribute of God.

1 comment:

  1. I like this one too. Your poetry has such an easy flow to it, it's comes as pleasant as thoughts to the imagination.
    God is a mystery, is he not?

    ReplyDelete