Thursday, April 21, 2011

This is not a horror movie

The journey continues.  We learned a big word in seminary:   anamnesis.  Amnesia is its opposite.  In Holy Week, we remember again and make real the final events of Jesus* life. We celebrate the Eucharist tonight, which will be the first Eucharist again.  We hear again, and for the first time, the command to love one another, the mandatum, and make it a physical remembrance and reality by washing each other*s feet.  It will be different, yet the same, this year.  This should not come as a surprise, for each one of us is different, yet the same, this year, from last year.  The journey continues.

I*m not one for horror movies.
They*re not worth the price
Of the ticket.
Heck, they*re not worth it
For free.
There is always enough
Real stuff
That scares me almost witless.
It springs from closets,
Leaps in the dark,
Lurks.
Sometimes it even grows in the dark
Like mushrooms.
There is enough real stuff
 Plenty scary.
I aim to come at it
With my eyes wide open,
See what*s there,
Take a spade, unearth it
Like worms;
Walk the path
See hear feel
All the details
All
The details.
I aim to walk it
With eyes and ears and heart
Open.

This is no horror movie.
I*m not one for such things.
They*re not worth the price
Of the ticket.

This is the real thing.
I pay as full a price for the ticket
As I can,
I know It will never be enough
So I walk it,
Pay attention to as many details
As I can.
This Week
Is real,
Different and the same
Every year.
Real.

No comments:

Post a Comment