Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Cartoons

I often do not understand the poetry in the New Yorker.  Consequently, I do not flip the pages to find it.  But I grew up reading New Yorker cartoons.  Yes, some of the humor was New York-based, and I grew up in South Minneapolis three blocks from Lake Harriet.  But there were enough cartoons which hit home.  I graduated from Earlham College in 1977.  One of my classmates, Liza Donnelly, is a cartoonist for the New Yorker.  I often find her when I flip the pages.  I am envious, and delighted.  Envious because mine is not the type of poetry the New Yorker poetry staff values.  Delighted because Liza*s cartoons make the grade.  Liza gave a TED talk recently.  I encourage you to see it:

http://www.ted.com/talks/liza_donnelly_drawing_upon_humor_for_change.html

Oh yes, and read the reflection that follows.  It will never be published in the New Yorker.

A classmate of mine
From long ago
Cartoons for a living.
She is published in every alumni magazine
On the back page.
She is regularly featured
In the New Yorker.
She draws cartoons people flip the pages
To find.

I grew up with the New Yorker.
Even in Minnesota it arrived every week.
I always read the cartoons.
It wasn*t until much later,
I realized there were articles;
Unlike, I understand, Playboy,
The magazine everyone purchased
For the articles.

My husband is still stunned
That I grew up
With the New Yorker,
Not to mention the Yiddish expressions
I have known forever.
He is convinced we were closet Jews.
At 56 I know
He is probably right.

I have often wished I could draw,
Hold up a picture which encapsulates
At least a thousand words,
Give the punch line
And have everyone
Well, almost everyone,
Understand.

No comments:

Post a Comment