Monday, May 23, 2011

Geneology


I am fascinated by those who spend a significant portion of their lives figuring out which important person they are related to.  I am reminded that Jesus did not have any children.  This somehow allows each of us to claim him, or at least allows us to be adopted into His family.  It is an interesting thing in this world of who is related to whom that none of us can trace our lineage back to Jesus... except by adoption.  His of us, and us of Him.  Both ways.

She did a health genogram this year,
Much like the one I did two years ago
For school
But without the zig zaggy lines
Which showed
Where the trauma was.

I trace the lines
Up and down and zig-zaggy,
Even doing some background checks
Of the family tree.
I am eligible to be a Daughter of the American Revolution,
A Colonial Dame.
Years ago my blood tested possibly positive
For Jewish ancestry.
I understand the fascination
Of those who spend years
To search records,
Trace straight and zig-zaggy lines
To find out
Who they are.

Today  I search.
I find it fascinating to see the wealth of people
Who walked before me.
For most there is barely any record
At all.
Like my daughter I say
I don*t look like any of you
But
From time to time I see a picture
and there is
A familiar chin.

I see a bird and know immediately
What it is
How it flies
What it eats
The notes of its song
Up and down the scale.
I remember my great grandfather whose life*s work
Was annotating all the birds
Of Minnesota.

No comments:

Post a Comment