Monday, May 2, 2011

I see what I expect to see

OK.  There are way too many metaphors in this one.  I know it.  My excuse is that Jesus used a lot of metaphors and stories and ways of seeing things to reach us.  Still... too many metaphors.  I know it.  Long about 6 o*clock this evening I realized I had been hearing a whole lot of wonderful things all day about good Christian response to Osama bin Laden*s death.  I had breakfast with a friend whose son is in the Special Forces.  She was grateful he was Stateside when it all came down.  I realized I had my eyes and heart set on seeing the cheering people outside the White House.  Anyway... too many metaphors.  And Jesus is really truly here.  And the Light.  And the cornerstone.  And it*s Easter.  He has risen.  Alleluia!

Too often I hold my breath,
I wait for the other shoe
To
Drop.
Then another one
And another.
I hold my breath and look
For what I know I will see.
Sure enough
I see it.
The sun gets in my eyes.
It is after all a beautiful day
Finally spring
The sun is in my eyes but I know
It is God*s light
I sing it as the Light of Christ
Too often I hold my breath
And chant
The Light of Christ.
I miss the next breath
And the next one.
I wait to see what I know
I will see.
Sure enough I see it.
Some days
Like today
I name what I expect to see,
What is surely coming next.
There it is.
With the sun in my eyes
I hold my breath
And wait for shoe after shoe after shoe
To drop.

I forget to look for the building
Being built
The next block over.
The sun is in my eyes.
I name it the Light of Christ.
But that building being built
A block away
The foundation is solid
The chief cornerstone is Jesus.
How could I miss it?

No comments:

Post a Comment