Sunday, May 29, 2011

In counterpoint

I stare at the radar map and wonder about the angry red dots, the look of night out the window, the sump pump cycling in the basement, the thunder and rain.  The pick-up choir sang All Things Bright and Beautiful (one of my favorites) this morning.  I ran up the stairs to the choir loft to join them at the Peace when I read it in the bulletin.  I am still humming it as the thunder echoes outside.


It looks like night outside
Green dim night outside
Thunder and rain roll through
The sound echoes
Echoes
Echoes,
It feels like the end of the world.
It seems they got it wrong
By one weekend.
Hardly anyone was in church
This morning,
Except we sang All Things Bright and Beautiful
In counterpoint
To this.
Maybe we wouldn*t notice
The green dim night,
The build-up of thunder and rain
Maybe we would only hear
That final line:
He has made all things well.

No comments:

Post a Comment