Friday, May 13, 2011

Late at night, Jesus

When I think about why I feel called to be a priest, why I continue to feel called to be a priest... it is for people like this parishioner, for these interactions which happen regularly wherever I am, whatever I am doing.  When I think about it, pray about it, it is for these interactions, one on one on one.  I am grateful.

Late at night
When I can*t quite go to sleep
Or stay asleep
Things settle into
My mind
Spin in the dark.
Once I had a parishioner.
Late at night
He often thought he was Jesus.
The Second Coming, I think.
He would call me at 11
And ask for absolution.
I gave it to him
Every time.
I did not worry about the sense
Of it all.      
He would call,
Sure that he was responsible
For not resolving all the pain in the world.
It was a heavy burden to bear.
He lived alone
In a single room occupancy, walk-up.

I would absolve him.

He would thank me.

Then he could sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment