Saturday, May 28, 2011

Memorial

I just finished reading Ian Morgan Cron*s new book: Jesus, My Father, the CIA, and Me: A memoir... of sorts.  I loved it.  I recommend it.  Highly recommend it.  Read it.  

I looked up Ian*s blog (iancron.com)  Today he invites his readers to come up with a six word memoir.  Since I am a fan of saying as much as possible in as few words as possible... thinking that I will take up less space somehow, yet be heard more (there*s a fallacy here... we are all meant to take up space, and fill it... probably this will be a later reflection... but not today).  But anyway... six words offer an appealing format.  And an interesting way to approach this weekend.  Mine?  
Seeking
Finding Grace.  
Always a surprise.

The flags have been at half-mast
Since mid-week.
It is Memorial Day weekend,
Promised warm eventually
Unbearably hot by Monday.
The beginning to summer but first
We remember death
More it seems
than the war-dead.
An odd but true way to enter summer,
End school,
Juxtapose commencement speeches
Of famous and not-so-famous people
At college launchings
Everywhere.
The pile-up
Words of wisdom
Famous last words.

I am invited to write
A six word memoir on a blog.
It reminds me of haiku.
There is something satisfying
In counting syllables.
Six words to sum up the trajectory
Of a life
At the beginning of summer.
Make it personal.
Make it general.
Make it true.
Count the words.
Raise the flag.
Make it true.

No comments:

Post a Comment