Tuesday, May 3, 2011

New life

One of the Easter lilies from Easter Sunday was delivered to my office this morning.  My office is on the lower level of St. Mark*s.  I have one small narrow window.  I have put the lily in the only spot which gets daylight. For now it helps me think about Easter.  
This week I also signed the OneWheaton letter and offered to proclaim Easter to those who need to hear it, freely and unabashedly Easter.  No stone - full-angeled - Jesus walking about as the gardener - Easter.


The lily sits on the edge of my desk
In the only spot of daylight.
It trumpets Easter here,
New life possible
Here.
Three Easter trumpets
One more to come.
I am holding down Easter
In the basement.
The lily helps.
I wonder if I will be able to plant it
In the window well
Later.

I have signed the letter
For my newest alma mater.
I will offer Easter to those
Who need to hear it,
To those who doubt that Easter
Is for them.
Here next to the parlor,
One small window shows the lawn,
The sky.
The Easter lily drinks light here.
Easter is the offer.
The stone is rolled away.
There are angels in the basement,
Jesus is out
Gardening.
Here the offer
Is Easter.

No comments:

Post a Comment