Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Pink plaid sneakers

Sometimes the small things, like pink plaid sneakers, bring joy and comfort while I am waiting on the world to change or become more defined.

I put on the pink plaid sneakers
From Target
This morning.
I figured they would help me wait
For the lilacs to come full bloom,
The peonies to unknot,
The purple-and-white-striped clematis
To open on the trellis.
I counted sixteen buds.

The sneakers are not what a professional
Would wear.
When I catch them under the desk
Or my legs suddenly cross,
The pink plaid comes into view.
The wait becomes
Bearable.
I know why they jumped
Out of the closet this morning,
Spooked the cat into cat-fits,
Simply demanded to be worn.

There is new life to be had
To be worn
To be obvious
Under my desk
Crossed legs
Pink plaid with a stripe of turquoise
While I wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment