Monday, June 13, 2011

Lessons learned not driving: riding shotgun

I am not a fan of being carried... anywhere.  I like to go places in my own way, at my own speed, in my own time.   I do not like being considered something, someone, to be planned around.  When the cat jumped in my lap this morning (his idea, mind you), and then decided my lap was not quite stable enough, he dug his claws in.  I do not have the gift of retractable claws, but I know his feeling.  It*s hard to feel safe and anchored when the ground (or lap) does not feel solid enough.

I have learned to pray
In place
Better.
There*s nothing like existential crisis
To bring God
Closer.
I have learned to watch
The light shift as I sit
In one particular place,
The family come and go,
But often
Me with them.
I have learned to ride
Shotgun
Sometimes to relax into it
Sometimes even appreciate
Being carried.

Better I have learned
Cat as steady companion
And not so steady
When he anchors his claws
In my leg
For better purchase.

Sometimes I have claws
Like the cat,
Try to anchor myself
Not so steady.
I have learned.

No comments:

Post a Comment