Saturday, June 11, 2011

Lessons learned not driving: smaller windows

I learned a lot yesterday, in my first foray out into the world: alone again behind the wheel.  I went to a clergy meeting and rejoiced with colleagues.  I went to supervision and rejoiced with Steve (thank you for the idea of smaller windows).  Then the fortune cookie reminder of the beauty present in all parts of God*s creation.  Over the years I*ve gotten some amazing fortune cookies.  When it comes time to give up driving for good, now I*ve had some practice letting go.  It does not come easily.  I imagine it rarely does.

On my first day back driving
I learned this:
It feels good to drive.
I pray when I drive.
I watch the road
The other drivers
Note how big the world really is
And Connected
Really Connected.
The roads are way more
than ribbons of highway,
Way more than this land is your land
This land is my land.
There are coyotes that I don*t see
When I don*t drive.
Alone.

I pray when I drive.
The windshield is my window
On the world.
I am tied into the ribbons
Of highway
Whether the trip is short
Or long.
But I did*nt  quite know I missed it
Or what I missed
Until yesterday.

My prayer window became smaller
For six months.           
The blue chair with the columbine
Outside
The hummingbird.
Yesterday I talked with colleagues
They said
You now have a glimmer of what we will all go through
When our children take our keys away
Yes
I glimpsed smaller windows.
I prayed out smaller windows.
Noticed the details in a smaller world.
Still
Right now
I am glad to drive.

The fortune cookie last night
Gave me this:
You find beauty in ordinary things.
Appreciate the gift.
I love driving
And
It seems right
To continue praying
Out smaller windows.
And drive.

No comments:

Post a Comment