Thursday, June 23, 2011

Possibility has its limits, thanks be to God

I remember growing up and being told I could be Anything I Wanted to Be.  Perhaps the key was in the wanted  part.  A few years ago now I had a dream about asking a beloved colleague for his shirt.  He said Of course and started to take it off.  But as he untucked his shirt, the tails went on forever (like those scarves being pulled out of the magician*s sleeve)... in the end he couldn*t take it off.  Months later, I realized I get my own shirt.   We all get our own shirts.  It*s why we have been made in our particular ways.  God has it covered, completely covered, when each of us does what we are called to do, even when friends get Really Good Jobs and I wish it were me.  But it*s their shirt!  Not mine.  I can rejoice looking at the possibilities before me, that make particular sense for me.   Mind you, sometimes I go back to thinking I can be anything I want to be, as if I really want to be just anything.  I*m grateful God is in charge.  Today I am grateful to consider the things before me.  They are plenty.

I have a friend who is like me
In so many ways.
He just got what looks like
The ideal job.
I try on the possibility of his job,
Realize
It would not fit me
Around the neck.
Every time I swallowed
I*d pop another button.
This morning I realized again,
I am not in search
Of endless possibility.

Out the window
The seeds ripen in the green pods
Of the columbine
Long past the flowers.
They will split and spread dark seed
In August,
Sprout and green,
Then bloom and purple again
Next May.
They have columbine possibility.

I have discovered my particular purple,
The time of fallow,
The time of bloom,
The time of ripening seeds
But
None of it is endless.

No comments:

Post a Comment