Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Bubble wrap


Yesterday I received a gift.  It came layered with reasons I did not agree with... at all.   Thankfully I was able to unwrap the reasons more rapidly than usual (there are a lot of ways to measure growth!), and receive the gift for what it was: Monday evenings with my daughter.   Jeff began his fall term yesterday, and he teaches Monday nights.  So it*s me and Sawyer.  I*m glad.  Oh, and I love popping bubble wrap.

Gifts can arrive in unusual packages.
Sometimes we only see them as gifts
When we unwrap them.
Sometimes the gift itself
Is the bubble wrap.

Yesterday I received Monday evenings
With my daughter.

First I had to separate the layers
Of packing,
The reasons given
Why I might want to take things
More slowly,
Reasons
Which really had very little to do
With me.
Then I had to remove the bubble wrap.

I am reminded of the little girl
Who found the backyard
Full of dung,
And simply knew
There was a pony someplace.

Yesterday, under the bubble wrap,
I received Monday evenings
With my daughter.
Better than any pony.

We will eat dinner together,
Do homework,
Watch the sun set,
Play with the cat,
Go to bed.
That*s about it,
until ballet classes start.

Monday evenings
With my daughter.
Better than bubble wrap.

No comments:

Post a Comment