Sunday, August 14, 2011

Morning crickets

Sitting in my writing chair this morning it seemed the crickets would be asleep by now.  I think of them singing at night.  They seem to think this morning needs accompaniment.  Of course maybe they do this most mornings and I simply haven*t noticed.  One of the many things I didn*t notice before.  I*ve heard people comment on how loud the cicadas were this year.  I wonder if we only think they*re louder because somehow other years we weren*t paying attention.  Maybe crickets always sing on August summer mornings, but I only listen to them, really, at night, as I lie in bed, windows open..  There*s usually more to do during the day than listen to crickets, or grasshoppers.  Cicadas, of course, demand attention.

Full morning light and the crickets
Still sing.
I thought they only sang
In the dark,
When no one could see,
In private
To the stars.
Seven lines into this,
They stop.
Really
At 8:21 AM,
They stop
Period.
They must have sensed me
Listening.
Then 8:22 AM,
They start
Again.
They may as well
Because
I won*t stop listening.
Full light and they still sing
No matter who can see
No matter who is awake
No matter that the stars
Have completely disappeared
And the sun is already
In full morning shine.

No comments:

Post a Comment