Thursday, August 18, 2011

Poet or no poet


There is change at the halfway house.  Guys come and guys go.  Sometimes they move into the recovery home, sometimes they move out on their own, sometimes they make it a week, sometimes it*s simply not time for them to be at the halfway house... a variety of reasons... really.  Friday the poet moves on.  He has always made sure I did not stack my own chair, or put it up on the table after community meeting.  Last night someone else from group grabbed my chair.  The poet laughed.  The other guy from group said Someone needs to do it.  It know it is not a small thing.  Not small at all.  Still, I only know a little of what it means.

This morning I wake grateful
With the cat at my feet,
No appointments to keep
Until this afternoon.

Grateful
Only somewhat awake
There are no appointments.
I won*t need to speak
Until 1:00.

I spoke with the poet yesterday.
He wrote in prison,
Letters and poems for the guys
Who couldn*t write
Letters and poems for girlfriends.
He says he did not write
In the halfway house,
Because there he has a cell phone.

The poet always flanked me
In group.
Now I think maybe
I flanked him.

Last night another group member
Made sure to take care
Of my chair after the community meeting.
The poet smiled and laughed.
I will see who flanks me
Next week in group
After the poet has moved on.
I will see who has been designated
For me to flank
Next week.
Now that I have a morning
Without speaking,
I can see the possibility
It has all been determined
Already.
Poet or no poet.

No comments:

Post a Comment