Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Social worker

Growing up I used to ride the city bus in Minneapolis and try to figure out peoples* stories. I had read Louise Fitzhugh*s Harriet the Spy, and was thoroughly enamored.  Harriet was my hero.   Back then there weren*t cell phones and overheard conversations to give me clues.  I rode the bus with absolutely fascinating people with whom I never talked.   Yesterday I ate lunch with two sisters who looked about ten years older than me.  After lunch and this conversation I kept looking at what I was wearing to see what said social worker.  I never did figure it out.

I had never seen her before.
She invited me to sit at her table
In the crowded sandwich shop.
Book in hand
I had figured to go back to the office
And eat.
Joined by her sister,
They planned a fundraising event
For an animal shelter
In South Elgin.
When asked, I said I had an office
In Glen Ellyn.
In a few more sentences
The question came
What do you do?
Oh I*m a therapist
I said.
The woman nodded
I figured a social worker
She said.
Really?  I look like a social worker?
Oh, she said
I*m a retired VA nurse,
You look like a lot of the social workers
I used to work with.
I realized,
In the middle of Panera,
Just how much I prize
Anonymity,
The slide under the radar
In public places.
With this woman
I may as well have worn a sign
On my head.
I*m an Episcopal priest, as well,
I said.
Now that I never would have guessed,
That I never would have guessed.
All three of us
Laughed.

No comments:

Post a Comment