Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Why work with people? At all?


One of the other interns I work with said yesterday that he wanted to be an addictions counselor because of the light that goes on when someone understands why they can*t go back to using.  It was a hard day yesterday.  Two group members left the program, both a surprise to me.  Sometimes I think I can tell who will make it this time, and who won*t.  I can*t.  It is humbling.  Still I am hopeful.  More humble, still hopeful.  It*s not just alcoholics and addicts or the mentally ill that fit in this category.  I know it*s me and everyone I know.   I know we can do things to nurture things along, but it*s up to the individual grabbing on that*s important.  Until then, we throw seeds willy nilly, and God holds the sparkle until we*re ready, each of us, to grab on.

It*s when you catch that look in their eyes
And you know they get it
He says.
I think of seeds planted,
Which ones grow
The exact right spot for germination
Which can never be determined
By us,
So we cast seeds willy nilly,
On rock and loam,
In the veritable desert.
We look to see the particular sparkle:
It says
A little more water here,
A windbreak there,
Put this one
Under a growlight.
Even
This one is best nurtured
In the light of the moon and stars.

We can only wait to catch
That look in their eyes,
Even knowing
This time may only begin
The sparkle
God holds the rest of it safe
Until the eyes and heart
Are ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment