Saturday, September 17, 2011

Blue jays

It wasn*t until this year that I realized the robins fly south in August.  Maybe this makes the blue jays more noticeable in September.  I don*t know.  Their numbers have increased since the West Nile virus hasdiminished.  There*s something about their call, their color, and now greater numbers: they call attention to themselves.  Can*t miss the blue jay.  I am grateful for blue jays.

The trees have begun
To turn.
I am grateful for blue jays,
Their comeback in numbers,
The hoarse voice chorus
The jay jeer
Spurt of blue through the trees;
So many now
The robins gone
I notice the numbers
Of jays,
They take over where the robins
Left off.
The trees begin their turn
To new colors,
The jays pose
Against the leaves.
Swoop and blend
With the sky,
Jay jeer as they fly,

They own the fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment