Monday, October 3, 2011

Automatic spell check

My internship supervisor has been insistent on my spell checking everything, even though it rarely has found anything spelled wrong.  I have always been a good speller.  Words now look fuzzy.  They shimmer.  If I have added or subtracted a letter, it is not as obvious as it used to be.  More reckoning.  I thank God for automatic spell check, even as I am only sort of grateful for its existence.  I would much prefer not to need it.  Reckoning, indeed.

This is another week of reckoning.
I will find more of what is true.
I thank God for automatic spell check;
When my eyes intuit a letter
That is not there.
Or conversely,
A stray letter that does not belong,
For example
An errant  i.
I have always taken pride in my spelling.
I could tell by looking
If something was spelled right
Or wrong.
Now it all shimmers.
Spell check gives me the red underline
To challenge that perception.
I am grateful
Sort of grateful
Kind of grateful
For automatic spell check
The red underline.
It shows me what needs to be scrutinized
Through the shimmer.

No comments:

Post a Comment