Monday, October 10, 2011

Christopher Columbus

Today it struck me that ole CC did not know where he was going, either.  Just set sail for what he thought was probably China and found... the Bahamas.  In the midst of journeys which have their unfamiliar pieces, I am glad for the familiar touchstones, glad for family and autumn and writing something every day, no matter what.


Today is Columbus Day. On October 12th, 1492, Christopher Columbus landed on an island in what is now the Bahamas.



The Bahamas sound appealing
But first
I*d rather not miss anything here.
I squint at the computer screen
Blown up larger than life,
Write in the morning sun.
It slants autumn
Through the front window.
Fall completely arrived
Over the weekend.
In the backyard
Leaves fill the lawn.
The clients I did not have in summer
Called to set up appointments
For the one day
I was never in the office
Before.
Christopher Columbus did not know
About the Bahamas
Before he set sail.
I imagine he thought he would end up
Someplace familiar.
Me too.
I planned a different trip.
Now is the familiar
Through shimmery eye, bigger letters,
Another six months of chauffeured
Luxury.
Now I find familiar fall light
The family breathing soft upstairs
And the Bahamas
On the horizon.
Me and Chris.
Chris and me.

No comments:

Post a Comment