Saturday, October 1, 2011

Holy place

Our experiences bring us new ways of seeing.  I knew this.  But somehow when my left eye suddenly brought me blur and shimmer, I panicked and the doctor sent me to the ER.  Once they determined no brain lesions or detached retina it became... well... more interesting.  Of course it may signal other possibilities, but for now anyway, since I cannot drive again until the Ides of March (due to the seizure), I am exploring this new way of seeing, and I can see well enough through my right eye and shimmery left eye to finish my internship at the halfway house.  Today the living room shimmers as a holy place.


The light plays through the trees
Out front;
It leaf-dapples on the living room floor.
When I close my right eye,
There are dips and shadows
In my left.
The same world shimmers.
A week ago I took it to be
An emergency.
I found
It*s not.
I will see the retina doctor
This week
For the dips and shadows and shimmers.
I already knew
Everyone sees different pieces of the world.
This seems a version
Of that knowing.
I know a woman who sees birch trees
When the Holy appears.
For me the leaf-dapples shimmer,
Mark the living room
A holy place.

No comments:

Post a Comment