Saturday, October 8, 2011

Pumpkins



In the mailbox this morning is a quotation from Helen Keller, a wonderful piece from Inward/Outward.  It speaks of the wonders of texture, and how someone who neither sees nor hears apprehends the world.  It is a good reminder for me, with my one shimmery eye, to remember.  Today is pumpkins and people unloading pumpkins, a gorgeous fall day, and new things I have yet to imagine.

Today I will see what I will see,
What I don*t
I won*t.
So obvious really.
In my mailbox is the quotation
From Helen Keller.
She speaks of the wonders of texture,
How people who see
Don*t appreciate so much
Of what they see.
Today we unload pumpkins
At church,
A semi-tractor trailer full
Of pumpkins,
Big and small
Mostly orange but probably some
Green.
I will take note
Of the pumpkins,
The people inside the truck
The people who pass the pumpkins along
In the pumpkin line,
The transformation of the church lawn
Into a pumpkin patch
Fit for a fine fall celebration.
I will notice the people
Who find us by the pumpkins.

No comments:

Post a Comment