Saturday, October 29, 2011

Tracing the routes

I remember more dreams Saturday mornings.  Perhaps it*s because often I can sleep in, and I get more morning sleep.  A luxury.  I traveled a lot last night.  A lot were church dreams and church people (I have been in a lot of different churches and met a lot of different people over the years).  At night they all blend together.  In the morning I figure out where the dreams came from, particularly on Saturday morning, when everyone else sleeps longer than I do.

At night I travel.
Sometimes I only take out road maps,
Trace the routes with my finger.
Sometimes the places are real.
Only a couple details
Are changed.
Most often
A conglomeration of places
Is moved to different states
Or countries.
The people who live there
Are jigsaw puzzles of people
I once knew
With familiar smiles.
That*s the way with dreams.
Any reality at all
Is possible.
Most often an element of truth
Lives there.
I can trace the route back
To where I encountered it.
I can find the towns in Illinois I visited
Growing up
In Minnesota.

No comments:

Post a Comment