Friday, November 25, 2011

Black Friday

While looking through the sideboard drawers for candles for the Thanksgiving table, I found the Advent wreath candles I never used last year.  We never quite readied ourselves for Advent.  This year, helping serve Thanksgiving in the soup kitchen, and making dinner for three at home, I feel we have a head start on cleaning.   Advent seems almost certain this year, Advent on a simpler scale.  Soon and very soon, we are going to see the King.  We already have all the ingredients for Advent here.  We are well in the black.

While it appeals
To help stores
Cover costs,
Make their bottom line,
For yet another year:
I won*t.

Today is lovely and blue,
The pumpkins
Still strong and orange
In the outside planters.
This morning I drink coffee
From the dinosaur mug,
Contemplate the sun patterns
On the floor
While the family sleeps
Upstairs.
Soup ingredients wait
Lined up on the counter.

Yesterday I found candles for the Advent wreath
Never used last year.
Yesterday I scored four candles:
Three purple and a pink.
Today I will look for
What waits to be seen,
What is buried
Here in this house.
I will make turkey soup
From the turkey carcass
Picked clean.
Perhaps I will unearth the breadmaker
From years ago.
I think I know where it is
On a shelf
In the basement,
Behind all the other boxes.
Perhaps I will end the day,
Bottom line,
Well in the black.

No comments:

Post a Comment