Thursday, November 3, 2011

Sign of the ginkgo

When I was a senior in college, years ago, there was a ginkgo tree in front of the house, right outside my bedroom window.  That fall I watched all the yellow leaves drop from the tree in one day.  I understand this is the way of ginkgoes everywhere.  It has become a true sign of fall for me.  I love watching my neighbor*s ginkgo every year.

The yellow leaves are bright against the gray
And wet.
The burning bushes have begun
To burn
In orange and red.
The clematis still offers
Purple hope.
It has been hoping
Since May.
It finally looks like fall.
It came almost overnight.
The ginkgo two doors down
Dropped its leaves
In a two day shower.
We always wait
For the sign of the ginkgo
To name the season.
It is now official.
Fall. 
Autumn.
No snow yet.
Not yet.
The woolly bear caterpillars
Promise a mild winter despite
All the alternative promises
Of snow
Up to our eyeballs
And more.

No comments:

Post a Comment