Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Squirrel time

I thought I only had to coordinate office use with one other person.  Turns out the squirrel has dibs on early morning.

It is early and morning and wet
Too gray
To be at work
Alone in the stone church
In the office cubby,
Underneath the nave.
My schedule
Would have me here in two hours.
I do not follow my schedule
These days.
Simply I learn what might fit in
With others.
The train leaves from home
When it does.
I am here early enough
To watch the squirrel burying nuts
In my window-well,
Cheeks full,
He stares at me.
This is my time
My space
He says.
Mine.
At this hour
Early and morning and wet
It is too gray
For you to be at work.
This is squirrel time.

He does not expect to bury nuts
With me looking on.
Of course I did not expect me
To be here
Either.

No comments:

Post a Comment