Monday, December 26, 2011

Christmas Up North

I admit. I admire the guy*s chutzpah in even thinking of this.  Now I wonder if he was the only priest the congregation could get.  I can*t imagine taking Christmas off, even when I don*t have an up-front role.  Among twenty million other things, Christmas offers a barometer of the church family, parents bursting with pride at grown children returning, grieving people held, stray people who never darken the doors any other time of the year, but somehow it*s safe late at night with carols, and tinsel on the floor, and Silent Night, Holy Night.  How can you miss this, I think.  Christmas Up North will never begin to compare.

Years ago I knew a priest who negotiated a contract
With his congregation
For being away
At Christmas.
He celebrated with his family
Up North.
I will not name him.
It does not matter.
I admit at the time
I admired his guts.
Every year since
The memory of him
Makes me sadder and sadder.
Now I wonder if he or his congregation
Ever knew enough
To change
The contract.

The tree is still up.
Of course
We celebrate all twelve days
Here at home.
It is probably too much
To hope for all the tinsel remains
To be left on the floor at church
For twelve days
In front of the altar rail.
Still I do.
Hope
That is.
The poinsettias will probably stay
As Christmas placeholders.
Next Sunday Christmas continues.
I will hear
In the beginning was the Word
With the rest of my family.
We will do a Christmas carol reprise.
Better than any Christmas
Up North.

No comments:

Post a Comment