Sunday, December 4, 2011

Eyes wide open

It did not seem a mystery to my friends.  Of course it*s better to keep your eyes open, they said.  They reminded me of spinning as a child. One even reminded me of how much worse it got after too much wine if you let yourself close your eyes.  Oh yeah, I thought.  That*s right!  So how come I forgot?  Here*s a good place to cite the value of companions who can help us remember.  I have good company.  How come I so often forget?

I puzzled why I couldn*t close my eyes,
Regain composure,
When I got dizzy and blurry.
Of course you can*t
He said.
She said.
You only make it worse.
Still
I puzzled.

On the way to church this morning
I was reminded about spinning around
As children,
That wonderful dizzy feeling.
When we fell to the ground,
Shut our eyes,
The dizziness increased.
Now I remember:
Something happens when we grow up.
That wonderful dizzy feeling
Loses its wonder;
The stomach does unpleasant
Flip flops.
We no longer relish
The feel of the world turned upside down.
Our adult brains
Seek equilibrium,
Stability,
At least the ability
To see straight
Without the loss
Of lunch.

Now I work to keep my eyes wide open,
Despite dizziness and blur.
I catch things I missed
When I closed my eyes against it.
I catch things I missed
when I look through the haze.
I catch things I missed
When I remember
To keep my eyes wide open.

No comments:

Post a Comment