Thursday, December 15, 2011

Sent people

I often wonder: How does God do all of this?  Because I know it is God who sends: people out into the wilderness to wait, toes dipped in the Jordan, on the look-out for who and what is next.  I know wilderness and the Jordan can be found everywhere, even in Glen Ellyn, and the accompanying music can be everything from Handel*s Messiah to Jingle Bells to something I have yet to know or imagine.

This is a season
Of people being sent,
Out Into the wilderness (yes),
But also to my office door,
Next to the children
Who sing Jingle Bells,
Part of the Advent repertoire.
This is a season of
Sent people:
Bearers of Word and wisdom,
Carriers of overwhelming hope and light,
People of understanding, new promise.
I am struck dumb, dizzied, blinded
By those who come
Mute and deaf and blind,
Sent people and me
We stand on the banks
Of the Jordan
Our toes in the water,
Listen to another chorus
Of Jingle Bells.
We wait.
We wonder who will join us 
Next.

No comments:

Post a Comment