Monday, January 16, 2012

Truth has that particular ring

I have a singing bowl my children gave me a few years ago.  It is a beautiful thing.  When I do it well, the ringing continues long after I have stopped circling the edge with the wooden mallet.  Today I think about Nathanael recognizing Jesus for who He is with such little evidence.  Today I also think about Martin Luther King, Jr., another singing bowl.  His reverberations continue as well, though I believe he would say he was echoing Jesus, as we are all called to do.

Like the singing bowl,
Truth has a particular ring,
Reverberations long after
The circles have stopped.
Nathanael heard truth
From Jesus;
The singing bowl
That was Jesus.
You are a man in whom there is no guile
Jesus said.
I saw you under the fig tree
He said.
Nathanael heard the truth.
It had nothing to do with figs.
It had everything to do
With Jesus.
Nathanael heard Jesus
Clearly.
Truth has that particular ring.
When we hear it
We are called to name it
For what it is.
We are called to be part
Of the reverberations
Long after
The circles have stopped.
Like Nathanael:
He heard
He spoke.

Truth has that particular ring.

No comments:

Post a Comment