Sunday, February 5, 2012

I regularly forget what I have known forever

Sometimes, caught up in what passes for adult living, I forget what I have known forever.  Sometimes all it takes to remember is watching a small child at church during coffee hour, secure and laughing behind his daddy*s legs.  Sometimes it still takes an hour or two, shoes and socks off, feet up, to remember. 

I regularly forget
What I have known forever.
Then I return home again
And again,
Sit and let my pores breathe,
Take off my socks and shoes.
Then
I remember
What I have known forever:
The small child this morning
Hanging behind his daddy*s knees
Laughing with that small child
Abandon.
Then I remember
Back to days hanging behind
Daddy*s knees
Laughing
Full out laughing
With abandon.
Regularly I forget
What I have really known
Forever.
I forget until
I remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment