Wednesday, March 28, 2012

And I think I*ve got it bad...

Today I am in a why do I bother? mood.  I know everything counts with God.  But God is not the IL licensing board for counselors.  I do not mind being supervised (actually I enjoy it).  I do not mind unpaid hours on the fly (I am a priest, this is what I do).  I do wonder whether God watches all of us and shakes his head while He/She waits for each of us to get it.

Over the last few days
I have reviewed the hours that count.
It seems I will always
Have to count.
I have chosen,
Perhaps I have been chosen,
For a clientele
Who would rather not
Be counted:
The person who always takes a card
For someone else;
The soul who calls and calls,
Always has that one more question
Then never calls again;
The one who has my card,
Dog-eared with thumbing.
It gives him comfort to know
I am here or maybe there.
I think perhaps he prays with my card.
It gives him comfort to know
I wait for him whenever
It gets bad enough.
It seems I will be dead
By the time he calls.

It occurs to me
Even God has a time frame.
Still it seems God knows how to count
To infinity and beyond.
Still
Even death
Is not God*s last word.
God has a particularly stubborn
Clientele.

No comments:

Post a Comment