Saturday, March 31, 2012

Simple

This weekend I visit my son in the city where I grew up.  I just had my birthday.  So many things converge.  I think it should all be more complicated, but instead it is somehow simple.  In talking with my brother I realize again we hold more in common than shared parents.  I may be the youngest, but we are both in the same stage of life, the time that it becomes more simple.  We have both quit what we were doing to start again.


It was simple
when I was young.
Now it is simple again.
I know what I don*t need to know.
Now everyone is important
and no one is.
Now everything is important
and nothing is.
Now there is a ring around the moon,
around the ant building the anthill
grain by grain by grain.
There is a ring
Around the child,
The man by my side,
The woman who brings me coffee.
Now we have all quit
to start again.
Now
The poet who lives in each of us
finds his expression,
Her expression.
We use different images.
Still the metaphors carry us
to the same place.
We have all quit
to start.
Somehow it becomes simple
Again.

No comments:

Post a Comment