Saturday, March 24, 2012

Stay put!

Today was clergy quiet day at the Morton Arboretum.  We sang and prayed and participated in a whole-group version of lectio divina of our ordination vows.  It is clear to me that I am being told to Stay put.  It reminds me of being a child and talking at night with my brother and sister in the top floor of the boathouse.  There was a one-way intercom so my father and mother could hear us in the cabin.  My father would stand at the top of the hill and shout: Pipe down.  This has the same commanding tone: Stay put.  Where?  I think.  How?  I think.  Couldn*t you ask more nicely?

The woman on the bike
Finds me staring at a robin.
I cannot determine whether
The bird has found a worm
Or perhaps a piece of nest material.
She motions me over,
Asks what is happening.
I tell her it is a clergy quiet day.
She puts her finger to her lips
Shh!
And reads my name tag.
Oh, Episcopal !
She says.
She even pronounces it correctly.
I won*t say another word!
I tell her it*s ok,
There*s a difference between quiet
And silent.
She lived next door to the man who died
Before Convention last year.
Her husband knows a colleague of mine.

Before the robin,
Before the woman,
In the quiet,
I was told
Stay put!
It seems to address a bigger notion
Than robins
Or women on bikes
Who know how to pronounce Episcopal.

I would like more clarity
Or maybe even
A nicer tone of voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment