Friday, March 30, 2012

The youngest of the oldest generation

 I grew up in Minneapolis.  Now my son lives here. I learned to drive in Lakewood Cemetery.  My daughter drove most of the way north from Chicago.  She is learning to drive in different places.

It*s not the same place I left.
Of course it never is.
The last time we buried
The end of the generation above.
I am the youngest of the oldest generation
Now..
We all learned to drive
In Lakewood Cemetery.
Little traffic.
No small children to dart out
make us practice our braking,
Only uphill and downhill parking,
Curve after curve after curve.
Still
It"s not the same place I left
Or even returned to
Ever.
It never is.
Three years ago
We buried the last.
Now I am the youngest
Of the oldest generation.
My daughter practices her driving
On freeways,
In construction zones,
Me in the back seat:
The youngest
of the oldest generation.

No comments:

Post a Comment