Monday, April 23, 2012

Getting what we pray for

OK.  I probably should have used the first person singular here... but I wanted some company, so I included all you people who may have had this experience too.  How did I know they needed volunteers now?  Especially now?  Well.  I didn*t. And it seemed a reasonable way to use my seemingly endless hours, and I figured I might be dead by the time I got the final counseling license.  Oh surprise.  Once more it becomes clear it*s not all about me.

With all the focus
On getting
What we pray for,
Sometimes we forget
We may be the answer
To someone else*s prayers.
Sometimes we find out
In odd circuitous ways,
We were meant to be here
Or perhaps
We were meant to be there.
Sometimes we simply show up
Unaware.
We are greeted with
How did you know?
How could you possibly know?
We shrug our shoulders
Perhaps we smile a tiny smile,
All the while
Thinking
This is an unlikely
Response
To the question we wanted
God to answer.
We continue to wait
For the right answer
To come,
When it already has.
Sometimes we forget to look
The other way.

No comments:

Post a Comment