Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Jesus on the elevator

Jesus appears in the oddest places.  Or perhaps, not so odd.  This is maybe more of an Easter story. Or perhaps a woman at the well story (He told me everything I have ever done).  Every once in a while someone tells me I was Jesus for them.  I usually don*t remember the conversation or the action.  I doubt the man I met on the elevator knows he was Jesus for me on the elevator, on the sidewalk, even halfway home.  When I was at Wheaton I saw him all the time, echoing Jesus as he walked.


Not so many years ago
I met Jesus on the elevator
At Wheaton,
Going down.
I had dropped off my application
To graduate school.
The woman at the admissions desk
Took the envelope,
Said thank you.
Is that it?
I asked.
Really?
Yes, she said,
Thank you.
What did I expect?
A song and dance?
Fireworks?
I met Jesus on the elevator
Going down.
He asked me what program
I had applied to.
I told him and he nodded.
You will like it, he said.
On the sidewalk out front
I discovered he worked
With my therapist.
I met Jesus on the elevator,
Talked with him all the way down.
I did not know he was Jesus
Until I was halfway home.

No comments:

Post a Comment