Sunday, April 22, 2012

Open kind of asking

I never know where God will turn up next.

When I learned
I might be able to have some say
In my dreams,
I might be able to wish for God
To come to me at night,
Show me what I needed to know
If I asked.
I asked once.
Yes, o.k.,
It was an open-ended kind of asking,
And He came.
I stopped asking.
He started to come
Anyway,
Slipped in around the edges,
Came in through the open window.
He didn*t stick to dreams at night.
He didn*t honor the contract
I thought we had
Of sleep,
Only the hours
Of sleep.
He came and comes
Through the neighbor
Walking the dog,
The woman on the train.
He grew up
Through the clematis vine
On the front pillar.
Then he found the vine
In the back yard.
I thought it had died.
No.
A hundred thousand times
No.
Now I never know
Where He will turn up next.

No comments:

Post a Comment