Monday, April 23, 2012

Wealth

Wow.  Today I officially began volunteering at DCC.  I have five clients transferred from the interns who just left.  I saw one today.  There*s a possibility I*ll see all five next week.  When I think about it, I am not surprised at the wealth of opportunity available to me, and yet, still, that wealth amazes me.
  
I am overwhelmed and
It is only Monday afternoon.
A wealth of opportunity sits
In the chairs
At the DuPage Community Clinic.
I have already forgotten the names
Of every volunteer
I met there this morning.
I drive home and
A wealth of opportunity
Stands on every street corner.
 A wealth wanders the fruit and vegetable aisles
Of Valli Produce,
Speaks in languages I can scarcely identify
About food I have no idea
How to cook.

I am glad no one is home yet
But me and the cat
And the turtle asleep
In his water dish.
Soon wealth will arrive home from school.
She will bring even more opportunity
Through the door.

No comments:

Post a Comment