Thursday, May 24, 2012

For Lee Mitchell, R.I.P May 23, 2012

Lee was my liturgics professor at Seabury in the early 80*s.  Even though I am doing little in formal liturgy these days, he taught me to see everything with liturgical eyes.  A blessing and gift.  May Lee rest in peace and rise in glory.

You taught us the Eucharist,
Not just bread and wine on the table,
But olives and cheese
As well.
In my toughest assignment,
The one in which I regularly questioned
God*s presence,
One Sunday morning
You suddenly appeared
At early Eucharist,
Sat in the pew
Among the handful of people.
I wondered if my sermon
Made sense,
Stammered through the traditional words
Of the Eucharistic Prayer.
You came forward with open hands.
I did not question
The presence of God
That morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment