Sunday, May 20, 2012

Water lilies

It is amazing to me how particular images carry such power.  This is part of my childhood memory.  I can picture the speed boat and the water lilies, the vast expanse of Big Trout when we made it through the channel, even the red cooler with ice which held the small bottles of Coca-Cola, a drink we were only allowed to have Up North at the Cabin on the Lake.  There was beauty in the channel, something I am trying to remember now.

We spent part of every summer
On a chain of lakes,
Paddled the speed boat
Through the water lilies
In the channels
Between the lakes.
Sometimes we even walked the boat
So the motor
Wouldn*t get clogged.
Once through the channel
We hit full throttle
Through deeper water,
Found the white sand beach,
Swam,
Ate white bread sandwiches,
Drank cold Coca-Cola
From small green bottles.
Going home
We reversed the process.

I do not spend summers now
On a chain of lakes.
I still see the channels blocked
With water lilies:
Yellow pond lilies,
White full blossom kind,
Lily pads.
Fish still swim
Underneath.
I still cannot power through them.
Today I walk the boat
Through the lilies,
The lily pads.
Today I would like to come out the other side
Hit deeper water
Make the boat run its paces
Full throttle.
Today I would like to eat white bread sandwiches
Drink ice-cold Coca Cola
In the warm sun.

No comments:

Post a Comment