Thursday, June 7, 2012

Chair

So, Vee, you asked about the chair.  Yesterday I lost my wallet in the layers next to the chair I have had for twenty-three years.  I found it when I got home after lunch.  It was sitting on top of everything.  Sometimes this old blue chair feels like the center of the universe.  Everything spirals out from here.

This chair has carried me
For years.
In sickness and in health,
When I could not move
Or merely rested.
Here I watched the hummingbird
Drink the columbine
Next to the window.
Here I have written reflection
Upon reflection
Upon reflection.
Here I have seen the years
Advance.
Here I have added or subtracted
Blankets and pillows
When they were needed.
This is my thinking chair,
My creative chair.
This is my learning to get older chair,
My chair in which I realize
I am not that old,
I have years to go.
Here I did
All the reading and writing
For that final graduate degree.
If I mine the stacks of books
Next to my chair
I find pieces of the strata
Of my life.

Sometimes
The recliner part
Sticks,
But I know
That is mainly
A metaphor
(for something).

No comments:

Post a Comment