Thursday, June 14, 2012

Pitching pennies

I began the daily writing of reflections and sent them to a few people on a list I had compiled.  There were some who felt I wrote too often.  Being the good Minnesota girl I am, and not wishing to be an imposition, I switched to the blog.  I still do not know exactly how this works, but I seem to have several readers in Russia and Brazil, even in Belarus.  Really?  Sometimes a word from someone else, somewhere else, is pitched into the same circle, and there is conversation.  When this happens, I feel like I*ve won the jackpot.

So often it feels my words
Are pennies,
maybe nickels,
OK, sometimes quarters.
I throw them in the wishing well,
Or maybe
Watch them roll round and round
On the vortex coin collector
At the mall,
Until they finally drop
Out of sight.
Sometimes I speak
And a penny
Comes back,
Sometimes a quarter,
Then it ends.
I long to pitch pennies
Nickels
Dimes
Quarters
With friends, acquaintances,
Those I do not know,
Even enemies.
I yearn to pitch words like coins
With others,
Stand on the edge of the circle,
Pitch pennies,
See which ones get close to the center,
Which ones land together,
Cheer,
When all of us
Win.

No comments:

Post a Comment