Friday, July 13, 2012

I am not my Father*s daughter for nothing

I have been here before, in this struggle to deal with changing rules and regulations and human systems.  I realize how much my own father taught me to approach things creatively, while honoring the rules and regulations and systems, to stand back and see where the stepping stones are.  I am not big on praying to or imagining God as Father, but here it seems I am my Father*s daughter as well.  This is a huge comfort, all by itself.

I am not the daughter
Of an attorney
For nothing.
I learned at my father*s knee
To question
The Understood.
I learned
To approach things
Creatively,
Wade in the shallows
On the edge of the lake
Before
Jumping in;
Then
Climb out, get dry,
Consider the water
Again,
See
Where the rocks bump up
Against the surface,
Provide
Stepping stones
To the other side.
I am not my father*s daughter
For nothing.
I know this very familiar place,
This place where
What I thought was true
Isn*t,
What I counted on
Must be refigured again
And again.

I am not my Father*s daughter
For nothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment