Sunday, July 8, 2012

Mortality

I find myself more captured by mortality, including those people who are dealing with it, up close and personal.  My book list has expanded to include brushes with cancer, ALS, cystic fibrosis.  My friends who know more intimately their life with inherent challenge, mortality, the reality of life and death... I am awed in the company of these who have a better sense of what awaits all of us at last, what can inform us even now.

Seizures may return
Or not.
I figure they are knowable,
Even as I am not present
For them.
It seems apparent
My mortality
Is not mine
At all,
But perhaps
 Indeed
Someone else*s
Somewhere else*s.
Mortality has moved
To a different realm.
Seizures may return
Or not.
The words to describe them,
I cannot know
Except perhaps in words of those
Who watch.
Still
They are not my words.
I am told the last one
Was different:
More expected
Certainly quieter
No drool
At all.

No comments:

Post a Comment