Saturday, July 21, 2012

Wealth of broken pieces

I set out to write something about putting together a mosaic, and found that I am in the place of contemplating which pieces belong.  I*ve been here before, many times.  It seems this is a time of waiting to know what fits, which are the pieces that belong.  Of course I thought I knew this already.  No.  Darn it all.

Early on
When the Whole
I thought I*d begun
Broke into smaller pieces
I found it all
Shattered into possibility.
The Whole somehow
Had to include
Stray bits from the wayside
Polished pebbles out of the riverbed
Shards of broken glass from the street
Chunks of rock.
I knew I would never get back
To the original picture.
Indeed
I never knew original
Anyway.
Here I am
Later on
The Whole broken
Into smaller pieces again.
There is a wealth
Of broken pieces:
Polished pebbles smooth to the touch;
Shards of colored glass
I hold up to the light;
Chunks of rock I can sit on
While I wait,
While I figure where and if
They fit.
Here I am again:
More pieces,
A veritable wealth
Of broken pieces.

No comments:

Post a Comment