Friday, August 3, 2012

Confines of freedom

I think it is easy to focus on what we don*t have, instead of what we do.  I cannot drive and find I am settled back into this.  Even though there is a car in the driveway, parked under the mulberry tree, its windshield coated in mulberry juice, I have come to think of it as a driveway prop.   It is blessedly quiet at home.  There is space here to think and write, and contemplate the boundaries of who and what and how I am to serve.  Here freedom is confined.  

Today I am home.
My daughter attends
A three day concert.
My husband is at work.
Tonight he attends
An evening
Men-only
Barbeque.
Today it is me and the cat
And the turtle.
Today the confines of freedom
Allow me to write
To think
To walk when it*s cooler.
There is a chipmunk in back.
He lives under the planter.
I do not have to share the house
With birds.
The boundaries,
The confines
 Of freedom
Are expansive enough.
Were I here a thousand days,
It seems
I could not
Exhaust them.

No comments:

Post a Comment