Sunday, August 12, 2012

Darker place

What if there is a meteor shower and the cloud cover does not cooperate?  What if our darker place is not dark enough, with all the city lights?  I remember trying to drive out west the last time we had a comet to see, and we couldn*t get west enough of the city to see much at all.  This is when I*d love to live in a place where the Milky Way shows a full band across the sky.  I bet the meteors would streak abundant there.  Still... tonight I pray for the clouds to go where clouds go to sleep, and enough darkness to catch a meteor or two.

Tonight
We will seek a darker place,
Watch the sky
For streaks of light.
We will ooh and ah
Count them,
Then lose track,
There will be so many.
Tonight,
I think,
A darker place
Under the stars.
Still,
In the meantime,
I love the daytime clouds.
They offer a dimmer switch
For the sun.
But tonight,
I think,
A darker cloudless place
Under the stars.
I pray for the clouds
To find a new home
Where the sun sets
Splendid,
Stripes the sky
In preparation
For all
The nighttime streaks of light
Too many to count.

No comments:

Post a Comment