Sunday, November 4, 2012

Loss is in the air


Today was the Sunday after All Saints.  I have rarely thought as much about this being the beginning of the end of the year.  The lessons wind down to Apocalypse, which is, of course, an ending which turns around to begin again with Advent.  Alpha and Omega, beginning and end, and  beginning again... with the end taken into account.

Loss is in the air.
Gray and gold and chilly,
I know I smelled snow
Yesterday,
Felt the waft of almost bittersweet
Loss
Down my back.
Today we sang a song
Of the saints of God,
Patient and brave and true.
We heard again
God makes all things new.
Loss is in the air.
It blows down my back.
This is the beginning of the end
Yet still:
Trustworthy and true
God brings all things new
Alpha and Omega
And finally
Back to Alpha
Again.
Trustworthy and true
All things new but still
I remember the wind
Down my back,
The scent of snow.

No comments:

Post a Comment